How to retain your DU Meter database while upgrading to Windows 10
If you have just upgraded to Windows 10, you might find that your DU Meter statistics might have been reset during the upgrade. This article outlines the best approach to retain all your data during the upgrade, and how to manually recover data if you upgraded without following these steps.
If you have not upgraded to Windows 10 yet.
- Upgrade DU Meter to the latest version. In particular, if you are using DU Meter 7.x, it is imperative that you upgrade to version 7.09 or later.
- From DU Meter's right-click menu, open DU Meter "Administrator options", "Database management" page. Click "Backup data" and create a backup.
- Upgrade to Windows 10.
- Install DU Meter, and use "Restore data" button in "Administrator options" to restore all data.
If you have already upgraded to Windows 10.
If you didn't create a backup before upgrading, it is still possible to recover data, if you still have your "Windows.old" folder. Follow these steps:
- Close DU Meter monitor, and remove DU Meter from the taskbar if present.
- Run "cmd.exe" as Administrator.
- Issue the following commands:
net stop dumetersvc
copy "C:\Windows.old\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Hagel Technologies\DU Meter\DUMeter.sqb" "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Hagel Technologies\DU Meter\DUMeter.sqb"
The last command is very long, but it must be entered on one line exactly as shown. You can use copy/paste to enter it exactly. You can start DU Meter normally afterwards, it should start the service automatically and will use your old database. Note that this method does not support database merging, and your old data will overwrite whatever you have right now.